Whether you’re a gym rat, a big fan of hiking, or the parent of an adorable baby, you’ll love our cleansing body wipes. These towelettes are specially designed to provide a quick, practical, and shower-free way to clean your skin that you can take with you everywhere you go! They’re perfect for camping trips or for freshening up post-exercise, and we even find ourselves using them at home on hot days rather than taking a third cold shower. Best of all, because they’re formulated with natural ingredients such as aloe and calendula, these DIY cleansing towelettes are suitable for use anywhere on your body and for all skin types, including babies’ very delicate skin. They hydrate your skin while preserving its pH balance, leaving you feeling pleasantly refreshed.
Learn how to make your own today!
Before you begin
Before you begin your recipe, it’s important to make sure that your workspace and equipment are carefully cleaned and disinfected. This is essential to protect your DIY creations from microbes and ensure they last as long as possible.
How to make your own cleansing body wipes
- 52.6 g (52.6%) witch hazel hydrosol or demineralized water
- 35 g (35%) aloe juice
- 7 g (7%) unscented liquid Castile soap
- 3.4 g (3.4%) calendula maceration
- 2 g (2%) vitamin E
- Scale, accurate to 0.1 g
- Small stainless steel bowl
- A few ramekins
- Small silicone spatula
- Seven reusable organic cotton wipes
- An airtight container such as a wide-mouth mason jar or Tupperware. Make sure that the lid of your chosen container seals tightly to prevent these wipes from drying out.
Good to know!
- If you don’t have reusable wipes, you can use other alternatives, such as pieces of micro-terry or cotton cloth. An even easier, though somewhat less eco-friendly, option is paper towels made from 100% recycled paper. Note that depending on your chosen material or how many cotton wipes you have, you may need to adjust how much solution you make.
- The hydrosol helps your chosen wipe material absorb the solution. We opted for witch hazel hydrosol for its soothing, softening, and cleansing properties. It’s also a natural antiperspirant and helps control body odours.
- Aloe juice is a valuable ingredient in this recipe because it’s rich in vitamins, trace elements, and minerals. Deeply hydrating, skin soothing, and healing, aloe vera will leave your skin soft and revitalized.
- Castile soap is known for being very mild and well tolerated by sensitive skin. Suitable for adults as well as babies, it’s the perfect soap option for the whole family: it thoroughly but gently cleanses your skin without drying it out.
- Calendula maceration offers anti-inflammatory and comforting properties. It helps reduce skin irritation, soothes rashes, and helps balance your skin.
- Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant. It nourishes and moisturizes your skin while acting as the preservative in this recipe.
Steps to follow
- Prepare and disinfect your equipment and workspace.
- Weigh the vitamin E and calendula maceration in a ramekin. Set aside.
- Weigh the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the vitamin E and calendula mixture to the bowl. Mix gently but thoroughly until the preparation is homogeneous. Set aside.
- Take your reusable cotton wipes and place them in your chosen container. Arrange the wipes such that the solution can be evenly distributed over all of them (see photo).
- Pour the solution over the wipes. Leave to absorb for about five minutes, while swirling or inverting the container from time to time to facilitate absorption.
- Your homemade body wipes are now ready to use!
Use and conservation
Gently rub a wipe over the desired area of your body using circular motions. When made in optimal sanitary conditions, your body wipes will keep for about one week.
Q1. What parts of your body can you use these wipes on?
These cleansing wipes can be used on your body, face, or for intimate hygiene. We have carefully chosen ingredients that respect the pH of your skin and intimate flora.
Q2: Are these DIY body wipes suitable for all skin types? What about sensitive skin? For babies?
Our recipe uses gentle, natural ingredients so that these wipes are suitable for all skin types, including very sensitive skin. They are specially formulated so that they can even be used on babies, making them the perfect option for the whole family!
Q3: Can I add an essential oil?
You can add an essential oil to this recipe for fragrance or beneficial properties. However, it is important to exercise caution. Your chosen essential oil must make up no more than 0.6% of the total recipe. There are a few other factors you should consider:
- To ensure you’re using a safe essential oil, we strongly recommend reading up on which essential oils are dermocaustic or photosensitizing. Check out our article for a complete list of the dermocaustic or photosensitizing essential oils we sell and how to use them appropriately to avoid problems.
- Also note that some essential oils may be too strong and irritating for intimate use. If you’re planning on using your wipes for this purpose, we advise against adding an essential oil.
- We strongly advise against using essential oils in any product that will be used on a baby.
- As a general rule, we recommend always carrying out a patch test with any new product, especially one that contains essential oils.