Softer skin is on its way!
Have you been looking for a product that makes shaving easier while protecting and softening your skin? We have just what you need: Like Silk, a DIY shaving bar.
Rich in soothing and healing ingredients, Like Silk helps your razor slide smoothly over your skin so you can gently remove unwanted hairs. Formulated for both face and body use, the bar form makes it practical and easy to apply—bringing together all the elements for a successful shave! Thanks to its creamy, velvety lather, this homemade solid shaving product leaves your skin satisfyingly silky.
This shaving bar recipe is designed for people of any gender. You can also adapt its scent to suit your tastes and desires. Will you go for a rich forest scent with Atlas cedar essential oil or opt for a lighter, floral bouquet with rosewood essential oil?
How to make a shaving bar
Before you begin
SCI is a respiratory tract irritant. Wear a mask when handling.
You can use a coffee grinder to pulverize the SCI. We recommend that you carefully rinse your coffee grinder afterwards and that you do not reuse to process foodstuffs.
- 16.5 g (16.5%) carrot seed hydrosol
- 0.5 g (0.5%) xanthan gum
- 1 g (1%) vegetable glycerin
- 1 g (1%) aloe vera powder
- 39 g (39%) SCI
- 5 g (5%) coco glucoside
- 9 g (9%) white clay
- 23 g (23%) green clay
- 1 g (1%) Atlas cedar or rosewood essential oil
- 1 g (1%) true lavender essential oil
- 1 g (1%) evening primrose oil
- 1 g (1%) calendula maceration
- 1 g (1%) vitamin E
- 1 small stainless steel bowl
- Components to make a double boiler
- 1 dust mask
- 1 mini silicone spatula
- 1 thermometer
- 1 scale, accurate to 0.1 g
- A few pipettes
- A few ramekins
- 1 silicone mold, oval
- 1 coffee grinder, grinder, or mortar and pestle
Good to know!
- We advise against substituting ingredients as this may alter the effectiveness of your solid shaving product.
- Carrot seed hydrosol soothes razor burn.
- Xanthan gum provides this homemade shaving bar with the smoothness that will help your razor slide nicely over your skin.
- Glycerin has humectant properties, ensuring hydrated skin.
- Aloe vera has healing properties.
- The SCI is the foaming agent.
- Coco glucoside gives the shaving bar its creaminess and a frothy lather.
- The clays have soothing and purifying properties.
- The essential oils selected for this shaving bar recipe have healing and soothing properties.
- The vegetable oils also possess soothing properties.
- The vitamin E will protect the vegetable oils and adds skin-regenerating properties.
Steps to follow
- Prepare and sterilize your equipment and workspace.
- Weigh the hydrosol and gently heat on the double boiler. Its temperature must not exceed 70°C.
- In a ramekin, weigh the glycerin and the xanthan gum. Mix together.
- Add the glycerin/gum mixture to the hydrosol and allow to thicken.
- Pulverize the SCI using a coffee grinder, mortar and pestle, or other grinder/mill. Add to the mixture from the previous step.
- Melt the SCI.
- When the mixture has become creamy, add the clays and the aloe vera powder.
- Remove from heat and add the remaining ingredients (vegetable oils, coco glucoside, essential oils, and vitamin E).
- Pour into the mold. Let set for 24 hours before unmolding.
Use and conservation
Moisten your homemade shaving bar and create a lather. You may either remove a bit of product to apply to the skin to be shaved or slide the bar directly along your skin. Rinse off after shaving. There is no need to wash your skin with soap afterwards. Apply a hydrating cream after shaving.
Let the bar dry well between each use.
Made in optimal sanitary conditions, this solid shaving bar should keep for at least 6 months.