Breathe in the sweet scent of summer… by opening your closet!
Just imagine: You crack open your wardrobe to find a lovely little orange tree. Its pleasing leaves brighten up the space, and the gentle scent of blossoms and oranges has infused everything inside… Because it is (sadly) tricky to grow a tree in your closet, we came up with a recipe for something almost as cheery: homemade scented wax tablets with an exquisite citrus aroma. Now, you can give your clean laundry a Slice of Sun all year long!
Made from either beeswax or vegetable wax (depending on your preference), these wax tablets decorate and delicately perfume your closets and drawers. It’s a true pleasure to reach in and draw out your sunnily scented linens… You’d almost think you were in an orange grove on a perfect summer day! But if fruity bouquets aren’t your favourite, you can absolutely switch the essential oils in the recipe to create your own scent.
It’s such a joy to find a Slice of Sun in your dresser!
How to make scented wax tablets
Before you begin
Remember, never leave melting wax unattended.
- 41 g (82%) beeswax or pillar candle wax Kerasoy or soy candle wax, Golden Wax 444
- 1.5 g (3%) sweet orange essential oil
- 3 g (6%) myrrh (10%) essential oil
- 1.5 g (3%) frankincense (10%) essential oil
- 3 g (6%) red mandarin essential oil
- Some dried botanicals, spices… (optional)
Suggestion for another, more floral scent: Rose de Toi
- 3 g (6%) ylang ylang essential oil
- 1.5 g (3%) white grapefruit essential oil
- 1.5 g (3%) rose geranium essential oil
- 3 g (6%) Bulgarian rose aromatic essence
- 1 small stainless steel bowl
- Components to make a double boiler
- 1 mini silicone spatula
- 1 scale, accurate to 0.1 g
- 1 pipette
- 1 thermometer
- Silicone molds
Good to know!
- The proportion of essential oils/aromatic essences can be reduced but not increased.
- As this product is not intended to be heated, you can use any essential oil you like in this recipe, regardless of flash point (unlike candles).
- If you want to add some decoration to your DIY scented wax bars, give your imagination free rein. You can add all sorts of botanicals, dried citrus fruit, spices, etc.
- If you want to hang your scented wax bars in your closet, you’ll need to make a hole before the wax has fully cooled and hardened, or the tablet may break.
Steps to follow
- Weigh the wax in the bowl and melt it in the double boiler.
- Weigh the essential oils or aromatic essences in a ramekin, using the pipette.
- When the wax has melted, remove from heat. Wait until it has cooled to below 50°C before adding scents.
- Add scents and mix well with the spatula.
- Pour into molds. Wait until the wax has begun to harden before adding any decorations (dried flowers, etc.).
- Leave at room temperature to harden for a couple hours before unmolding.
Use and conservation
Place your DIY scented wax tablets wherever you desire (closets, dressers…) and let them infuse your linens with their delicate aroma.
This product will keep for about one year, at which point the scent may have faded. You can easily remedy the situation by melting down the wax tablets and adding the scents again, following the same steps as described above.