This easy face mask recipe has a very appealing ingredient
We don’t often associate the colour orange with beautiful skin. But the fruit is another matter! Did you know that bitter orange powder, made from the peel of bitter oranges, has a wealth of skin benefits? It cleanses and tones your complexion, leaving it with a healthy glow. So, we’ve come up with an ultra-easy face mask recipe to introduce you to the Orange Appeal!
To make this face mask, you need just four ingredients. Bitter orange powder tones and exfoliates your complexion, while also adding radiance. Colloidal oatmeal softens and hydrates your skin, pink clay purifies and brightens it, and the gum arabic gives the mask a nice gel texture. Well, actually, you’ll need to add one final ingredient—just a bit of water or hydrosol to form a paste when you’re ready to apply your mask. But only five ingredients to make a face mask that hydrates, purifies, softens, and exfoliates your skin? We think that still has real appeal for people with busy lives!
So let’s whip up this DIY face mask and discover the Orange Appeal!
How to make a face mask for glowing skin
Before you begin
- We strongly recommend avoiding using aluminum containers and utensils in this face mask recipe, as aluminum can alter the properties of clay. Opt for wood, glass, or stainless steel tools instead.
- In this recipe, you’ll be handling very fine, light powders. They should be handled gently and with caution to avoid irritating your respiratory tract.
- 25 g (50%) bitter orange powder
- 3.5 g (7%) colloidal oatmeal
- 20 g (40%) pink clay
- 1.5 g (3%) gum arabic
Good to know!
- Bitter orange powder tones your skin and restores its radiance, as well as providing gentle exfoliation.
- Colloidal oatmeal comforts your skin and leaves it soft and hydrated. You can replace some or all of it with orris root powder, though this may slightly alter the texture of your mask.
- We chose pink clay, which gently purifies your skin. It’s suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin, and provides your complexion with a healthy glow.
- We advise against replacing the gum arabic with another gum, as that will change the texture of the mask, making it more difficult to apply. In addition, gum arabic makes your skin appear firmer, unlike other gums.
Steps to follow
- Prepare and disinfect your equipment and workspace.
- Weigh all the ingredients in the bowl.
- Mix gently with the spatula until the powders are evenly distributed.
- Carefully transfer the powder blend into the jar.
Use and conservation
How to use your homemade face mask to get glowing skin:
- Measure out one teaspoon of powder blend into a small bowl.
- Add two to three teaspoons of water—you can use demineralized water or tap water. For an extra pleasant face mask, try using a hydrosol instead. We recommend orange blossom hydrosol in keeping with this face mask’s orange theme and because it’s suitable for all skin types. Alternatively, you can consult our article on which hydrosol is best for your skin type.
- Add one drop of the essential oil of your choosing and mix well (optional).
- Apply to damp skin and leave on for five to ten minutes. If the face mask dries out at all, spray it with water or hydrosol.
- Rinse with fresh water. Proceed with your usual skincare routine.
This face mask recipe is formulated for all skin types, including sensitive and reaction-prone skin.
When made in optimal sanitary conditions and stored in a dry place, your homemade face mask will keep for six months to a year.