Winter is long and hard on your outdoor spaces. They’ve earned a spring cleaning too! But who wants to spray harsh chemicals on the great outdoors? That’s why we decided to come up with an outdoor cleaning spray recipe with ingredients that respect the environment.
We specially formulated this homemade multi-purpose outdoor cleaner to dissolve stubborn stains and residues. Our secret ingredient is black soap! When combined with washing soda, this potent soap yields a versatile, budget-friendly, powerful cleaner. Get ready to clean up your outdoor furniture and surfaces so that you can enjoy the summer in style.
Before you begin
Before you begin your recipe, it’s important to make sure that your workspace and equipment are carefully cleaned and disinfected. This is essential to protect your DIY creations from microbes and ensure they last as long as possible.
Washing soda is corrosive, so we strongly recommend wearing long sleeves and pants, as well as closed-toed shoes when making this recipe. You should also wear nitrile gloves throughout the process.
How to make a multi-surface outdoor cleaner
- 875 g (87.5%) demineralized water
- 110g (11%) black liquid soap (available in the bulk section of our brick-and-mortar store)
- 10 g (1%) washing soda
- 5 g (0.5%) lemon essential oil (optional)
- Scale, accurate to 1 g
- Large stainless steel bowl
- Small silicone spatula
- HDPE plastic bottle (1 L) plus a trigger sprayer
Good to know!
- Black liquid soap is a powerful cleaner. It will remove dirt, stains, and residues that have built up over the winter.
- Washing soda plays an essential role in this recipe as it is degreasing, cleansing, and a stain remover.
- Sanitizing and purifying, lemon essential oil will disinfect and degrease your exterior while imparting its fresh scent. It’s often added to household products to boost their cleaning power.
- In our recipe, we dilute our multi-purpose cleaner with water. If you’d prefer a more concentrated solution, add less water.
Steps to follow
- Prepare and disinfect your equipment and workspace.
- Weigh the water and black liquid soap in the large bowl. Mix gently until homogeneous.
- Add the washing soda and lemon essential oil. Mix again until homogeneous.
- Transfer to the HDPE bottle using a funnel.
Use and conservation
Always wear gloves when using your homemade multi-purpose cleaner. Shake the bottle well before each use. Spray the cleaner onto the surface you wish to clean and scrub with a sponge. Rinse off and wipe dry or allow to air dry. Avoid direct contact with your eyes and skin.
When made in optimal sanitary conditions, it will keep for at least six months.
1. Can I use baking soda instead of washing soda?
It’s better to use washing soda. Baking soda has very different properties. Washing soda has stronger cleaning and degreasing powers. Baking soda, on the other hand, is better for lighter household cleaning and more delicate surfaces.
2. What can I use instead of lemon essential oil?
- An aromatic essence of your choosing.
- Nothing at all! Some people prefer not to use an essential oil in this recipe given that the product is intended to be used outdoors.
3. What surfaces can I use this cleaner on?
This multi-purpose cleaner is non abrasive, making it a perfect choice for a variety of outdoor surfaces including wood, concrete, tile, stone, or glass. This recipe will allow you to clean your outdoor spaces in a flash, and it is suitable for balconies, patios, terraces, and gardens.
It’s perfect for cleaning garden furniture (wood, plastic, or glass), railings, garden tools, barbecue grills, and even your balcony or patio floor! However, avoid using this product on coated or varnished surfaces, as it may leave marks.
4. Can I use my homemade cleaner indoors too?
Yes! The ingredients in this cleaner recipe make it great for cleaning many indoor surfaces too!
It’s perfect for degreasing extra-greasy kitchen surfaces—including your oven—or cleaning bathroom surfaces until they shine!